I am a scholar-practitioner in organizational conflict. For the last 20 years, I have explored the nexus between conflict and leadership in organizational settings through coaching, mediating and training. I got my start in the field as a volunteer community mediator and through that experience started to see where conflict engagement works and where it doesn’t. Since then, I co-led a victim-offender mediation program for a few years, published a book on restorative justice, created materials on conflict for government departments and trained mediators.
My greatest strength is teaching and I’ve been on Faculty at the Justice Institute’s Centre for Conflict Resolution since 1998 and Associate Faculty at the Conflict Analysis & Management Master’s program at Royal Roads University. I use reflective practices as a methodology for conflict engagement, including mindfulness and circle processes, as appropriate. I have trained and coached hundreds of professionals and leaders to develop their communication abilities – the key to clear leadership. The focus of my organizational work is to assist leaders and teams in the non-profit, provincial government, health care and educational sectors to harness the transformative power inherent in conflict.
Appointments and Professional Activities
- Faculty Member, Justice Institute of BC’s Conflict Resolution Program
- Associate Faculty Member, Royal Roads University’s Masters in Conflict Program
- Faculty Member, Institute of Conflict Analysis and Management
- Rostered Mediator – various public sector workplaces
- Certified Professional Coach appointments – various public sector workplaces
- Co-founder and co-chair of Victoria’s Mediator Lounge
- Member, Camosun College Human Resource Management Advisory Committee
- Published in various publications including Law Now, Focus Magazine and Readers’s Digest.
Education and Qualifications
- B.A. in English Literature, University of Victoria
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics (Dip. App. Ling.)
- Certificate of Conflict Resolution (CCR), Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Certificate in Coaching, Graduate School of Coaching
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC), granted through the International Coach Federation
- Certificate in Human Resource Management, Edmonton Continuing Education
- Certificate in Immigrant Settlement Work, Grant MacEwan College
- Member, BC Civil Mediation Roster